Photoshop and Illustrator – Class 5

atl_01

Attracted to Light, The Starn Twins, 1996

Going a bit away from the digital sculptures and Photoshop in general, we were presented composite images by artists such as the Starn Twins. The idea behind this is to make small things, in the case above, a mosquito, I think, I am not an expert, much bigger than usual. Depending on the scale in can even be two or three times bigger than a person. Of course, we could only go so far. Another thing is that we would have to do it in Illustrator, which even our teacher didn’t know how to do, but he knew it was possible.

IMG_20170717_172926506 (1)

Perhaps a bit inspired by the “nastiness” of Attracted to Light. I chose to use a picture I took during that weekend, in Hyde Park: that of a bare pair of wings. It is pretty gross to be honest, and I wanted that for another reason too: the finished project would be put in the wall and I wanted to see the reaction to something like this.1

So, to start, we were given a youtube link for a video tutorial with no voice, which I personally felt very comfortable with. I used similar tutorials a lot when I was younger, to configure many tech-related things. However, there was a slight problem in that the menu was slightly different between our versions, which was mostly harmless, except for one thing. IMG_20170718_141601245

I had no option to change the type of page I wanted to use to print, as the only one was the default, which I later learned to be A4. Another thing to note here is that the scaling is set to: “Tile Imageable Areas”. I forgot to go in the setup section in the bottom left corner of the pop-up, as I thought it was already configured to coloured and to only print on one side.  It was supposed to print 24 A4 pages.

IMG_20170718_141937280

It only printed one, in black and white, with pictures on both sides and an error message right across them. I had no idea as to why this happened and, frankly, I still don’t. But it gave an opportunity to fix my mistakes.Wings

Which, unfortunately, didn’t happen. I forgot, again to go into the setup and fix the colour and printing on both sides. That said, I changed the scaling to “Tile Full Images” hoping it would fix the previous problem. It also brought the page number to 20 pages, which pleased my pocket immensely (I thought it would print in colour).

IMG_20170718_143935825

As it was double-sided, I only had half the number of pages I wanted. I put it down on the ground the best way I could, but then I had to make a decision: do I print it all again correctly or do I just print with the same settings again? I chose the second one, as I was curious to see how the image would look like in black and white, even if I kind of brute forced my way through the process.

IMG_20170718_150103237

With all of it printed and ordered correctly, all that was left was to put it together. First, I cut the white margins to be able to put the images together properly.

IMG_20170718_160829943

Then, I started putting them together from the back with plaster tape. It was tiring work and long too, took me a bit over one hour to put it all together, but the result was pretty good to be honest. It left be a bit uncomfourtable to be honest, which is good. And the black and white proved to be a happy accident, as it made the picture much more dramatic.

IMG_20170718_161919805

Here it is possible to see that I tried to compensate for the glitches that occurred during printing, especially in the second column. By spacing them apart, it wasn’t quite as blatant as it could have been. However, it is still clear, especially in the rightmost wing, which was eaten by the computer.

IMG_20170718_161832299

One nice thing about being double sided is that there was an image in the back too, which was also interesting in its own way. It tells a completely different story from the front one. To me, it even tells a story of a bird crashing in some steps, losing some feathers as a result.

IMG_20170718_162333651

With that done, I could go and attach it to the wall and that is what I did. I could choose either a white wall or an orange one. I went with the second option to create a contrast between it and the black and white of the image. I am not completely satisfied with it, it just doesn’t work well together. If I had the option, I would like to see how it would look against a black wall.

Overall, this is my favourite activity we made during Photoshop class, from the artists referenced in the beginning to the liberty we had, as well as simply brute forcing through a problem. It was much more organic in my view, as the other ones felt a bit more clinical.

Thank you for reading!

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s